DAY FOURTEEN: An Alternative Pudding for Christmas
This is the very end of our Holiday Guide...and it's an edible entry for the last one.
I'm sure that everyone has a folder or notebook of collected recipes, favourites that have been enjoyed and passed on, a book of 'edible heirlooms'. In mine there is this dogeared one for Panettone Bread & Butter Pudding. We first had this almost two decades ago (good god I'm so old) when we ditched traditional Christmas dinner for an alternative menu. It was loved by everyone. Now, instead of being a renegade pudding it's become quite a tradition in our house at this time of year.
Rich, aromatic, incredibly simple and super delicious pudding. What you need and how to do it...
100g caster sugar
250ml double cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
50g amaretti biscuits
1 orange (optional)
- Heat the oven to 160°
- Slice and butter the Panettone
- Put the buttered Panettone into an ovenproof dish
- Whisk the eggs and sugar together, then add the milk and cream and the vanilla extract to form a custard
- Pour the custard over the Panettone
- Cook for 30 mins until the custard has set and
- Crush the amaretti biscuits and scatter over the top and add some orange zest if you like